Subject Re: Help f1 problem Solutiom
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2024 14:44:05 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 2024/09/11 18:54, charlie wrote:
> Point well taken Akshat,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me on this.  Isn't the only thing the user can change in the setup where the app folder is located?  I am thinking it would be highly unusual for the user to change the location of the bde, which is where I am pointing the junk.bat  path to.  If the user should go into their computer and manually change bde locations, etc, they are looking for trouble.  But I think that I will add a warning in help just in case.
>
> I do have some _app path variables in the initial program though.  I'll look into dealing with this there.
>
> Almost done with this thing.  I have learned so much on this project it is crazy.  But there is so, so much more to learn it is crazier!!!!
>
> Thanks so much for your help!

Firstly, what do you need to use runhidden(), which creates junk.bat,
from mscapi.prg in the dUFLP for?

If it's to display a .chm help file for your application it can do the
job provided you use the correct syntax but it's the wrong function to
use.  You should be using openURL() from mscapi.prg as it doesn't need
to create and execute a .bat file every time the user wants to open the
help file.

It's not the place I would choose but you can use INNO to place your
.chm file in the BDE folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Common
Files\Borland\BDE) but your program may not write any ad hoc files, such
as a .bat file, there as your application does not have Administrator
rights.  If you need to use a .bat file place it in a folder where your
application does have rights and add the path to the .chm filename.

Mervyn.