Subject Re: Help f1 problem Solutiom
From Akshat Kapoor <akshat.kapoor@kapoorsons.in>
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2024 19:40:54 +0530
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

Good Evening Charlie,

> Hi guys..  Thanks for your input.   Unless someone can give me a good reason not to, I have decided to hard code the path at line 1193 in miscapi.
>
> I had put the chacha.chm file back in the app folder in inno because it at least tries to work with F1 there.  If I just hard code I can leave it there.
>
> the miscapi file that i am using is no longer in the duflp folder because it has to be added to the project and then go into the .exe file.  This just seems like an easier option for me since it has already been done and works!

If it works then it is okay. No issues. But what will happen if you
require runhidden() somewhere else also.

The basic reason I stopped hard coding paths is that it takes hell a lot
of time to alter these paths if I change directory at a later stage.

Besides how do you hard code paths which I may distribute to some one
else also. He may decide to install in a different directory and then
either I change all the code or force him to change directories.

Then the most important relative paths are easy to access over LAN.

In cases where I have to hard code the paths I declare a memory variable
at the start of the program assign values to it and then use that
variable throughout. So just changing the value of the variable is
sufficient to change paths in all the code.

When stating paths over LAN I prefer to use UNC paths. They are much
more stable than mapped drives.

Regards
Akshat