Subject Re: Report designer problems
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date Wed, 3 Apr 2024 11:44:50 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 2024/04/03 10:28, Ronnie MacGregor wrote:
> In article <QQsF#VUhaHA.2664@ip-AC1E04A7>, tm@tc.com says...
>
>>    im in inches for metric.  I am truing to position the top at .22
>
> In addition to Ken's help, you would make life much easier for yourself
> by using mm as the metric for reports. Positioning is then defined in
> integer increments, and is much more precise.

South Africa changed from Imperial to Metric measurements many years ago
so I use mm as the metric for reports as a matter of course.  Usually
placing object coordinates to integer mm is "close enough" but dBASE
will determine the actual placement to a hundredth of a mm if an object
is dragged into position.

To be able to force integer increments one would need to set the metric
to Twips.  I must say though that even when laying out a report to be
printed on a pre-printed form using mm as the metric proved to be
accurate enough.

dBASE makes the following conversions.

0.22 inch to 5.56 mm to 315.00 twips.

Charlie, there shouldn't be a problem if you are adding the two new
field object to the end of the line but, as Ken has pointed out if there
is any chance of objects overlapping it can upset things.

dBASE renders each line from left to right and, although reports don't
use a z-order, inserting fields between exiting fields may be causing
the problem.  As there are only six existing fields it should be little
enough effort to delete them and then place the eight fields as required.

Mervyn.