Subject Re: Blank Navigator
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date Sat, 9 Mar 2024 12:29:20 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 2024/03/09 10:45, Tim Ward wrote:
> Hi,
> I have had something unusual happen to dBase this morning. When I start
> the program the Navigator tries to open and gives 'Encountered an
> improper argument' error and clicking OK just leaves a blank Navigator
> window.
> Tried reinstalling but still persists. Any thoughts? Using dBase10.
>
> regards Tim

This is possibly due to a corrupted PLUS.INI file .

The "sledgehammer" approach is to delete the file while dBASE is closed
and then restart dBASE.  dBASE will create a new PLUS.INI with all
default settings.  This can be a PITA as one has to reset one's preferences

In the Command panel   ? _app.currentUserPath

This will print something like the following in the Results panel

C:\Users\Mervyn\AppData\Local\dBASE\dBASE2019\Bin

Mark and copy this.

Close dBASE.

Open the File Explorer and left click in the "QuickAccess" entryfield.
Paste and press enter.  Rename PLUS.INI and restart dBASE.

dBASE should create a new PLUS.INI

BEFORE you try this, with dBASE closed, open PLUS.INI in Notebook (or
any other text editor) and search for [Navigator]

The entry should look something like

[Navigator]
IconType=0
Minimized=0
Maximized=0
Position=0 0 507 574
Open=1
ShowFileExtensions=1
SearchPath=0

If it doesn't, make changes and save the file.  Try opening dBASE.  If
all is well make a copy of PLUS.INI "for next time".  SOD'S Law will
ensure that if you have a copy of a working version of PLUS.INI to fall
back on there won't ever be a "next time". :-)

Mervyn.