Subject Re: hash.cc
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:13:34 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 2024/03/01 06:51, Sean wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> Ah! Thanks a million for this, and also a massive thank you for your books, they are such a valuable resource, I owe you coffee!
>
> I'm still figuring the newsgroup system out, I replied to Marc about what was happening if you wanted an update :)
>
> Sean

Web-News, via the link on the dBASE website, provides easy access to the
newsgroups.  The newsgroups are, however, also available from
news.dbase.com as an NNTP feed. With an NNTP feed messages are delivered
to your computer in  the same way as email.  You won't have to log into
Web-News regularly to check for replies.

If your email client doesn't support NNTP (Windows Live Mail does,
Windows Mail doesn't) download, say, Thunderbird although there are
other email clients that also support NNTP.   No user name or password
is required and once the server name has been entered simply stick to
the defaults and personal preferences.  Subscribe to the newsgroups you
are interested in and you're in business.

If you opt for Thunderbird, the only "quirk" to keep in mind is that you
need to use the "Follow up" button, NOT the "Reply" button, to respond
to messages in the newsgroups.

Mervyn.