Subject Re: hash.cc
From Marc VdB <dbase@dbase.db>
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2024 12:01:56 +0100
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

Hi Charlie,

> Hi..  Has anyone used hash.cc from the duflp?  Is there something wrong with it?  I ask this only because a couple of weeks ago I was looking for something like this and no one mentioned it!  Thanks for any feedback.

there is a fundamental difference between hashing and encryption! If you
want to encrypt something, you also want to decrypt it: it is a
two-way-thing. Hashing on the other side is a one-way algorithm.
If you have a hash-string, there is no way you can get back the original
string that was hashed.
So you can use the hashing to provide some security, you could also use
it for indexing, because a hash has always the same length, no matter
the length of the original value (equal length indexes are a good thing)
(although you could get the same hash for different input values  (a
veeery rare situation)). But you can't use it for encryption/decryption...

HTH,
Marc