Subject Re: DB Engine Error and Bad Field Name
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2024 14:18:18 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 2024/01/23 12:23, Sean wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> The family business has required me to pickup dBase. Excuse the entry level questioning.
>
> I am running into two errors:
>
> 1. "Database Engine Error:  At end of table." - I cant seem to find any reference to this error in the dBase books or online.
>
> 2. Bad Field Name - checked databases and field name is correct and present in both. Also checked code for whitespace.
>
> A little perplexed at this point. Any help would be appreciated and happy to buy you a coffee :)
>
> Sean

Please give the EXACT wording of error messages.  Most times, but
unfortunately not always, dBASE will give the line number in code
causing the problem.

What version of dBASE are you using?

Do you have sourcecode for existing applications?

Is the data in .dbf tables, .db tables or a SQL server?

Are the errors caused by running existing programs?

If existing code, is it written in XDML (the original dBASE for DOS
commands) or OODML for Windows?

Are the errors as a result of new code you are creating?

I've never come across the End of table error.  The dBASE rowset class
does, however, have an endOfSet property and isFirst() and isLast()
methods which can be used to trap and ensure the error never occurs.

dBASE does not accept spaces in field names in .dbf files whereas .db
files do but you have checked this.  There is a way of dealing with this
if it is the cause.

Mervyn.