Subject Re: dBASE PLUS 2.8 compiled file formats?
From Ken Mayer <dbase@nospam.goldenstag.net>
Date Wed, 24 May 2023 20:39:42 -0700
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 5/24/2023 3:15 PM, Dennis Hoover wrote:
> Me again with the old dBASE custom application questions.
> Does anyone have any information on the binary format of the .PRO files? Like layout, headers, structs, etc?
>
> Do they contain native (like x86/etc) instructions? Or is it intermediate bytecode i.e. java/.NET style? is there any instruction set reference? or maybe something comparable we can look at as a starting point?
>
> Any info you have on the internals of that file format you can share would be super-helpful. You can just dump it on me, I will sift through it.

To the best of my knowledge no one has successfully
uncompiled/decompiled dBASE's .pro/.wfo/etc. files.

That was the point when the format was determined years ago. Otherwise a
dBASE developer could distribute a .pro to a customer, that customer
could decompile it back to source code, and modify the code ... thereby
making it possible for the original developer to lose
business/customers/intellectual property, and so on.

The difficulty then is that of course if you don't have the source code,
as I understand you don't, then the programs will need to be re-created
in dBASE.

dBASE Tutorial: http://www.goldenstag.net/dbase/Tutorial/00_Preface.htm
dBASE Web Tutorial: http://www.goldenstag.net/dbase/WebTutorial/00_Menu.htm
dBASE DOS to Windows Tutorial: