Subject Re: Too Many Symbols error
From Ken Mayer <dbase@nospam.goldenstag.net>
Date Sun, 19 Mar 2023 21:46:10 -0700
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 3/19/2023 2:14 PM, michael wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> My apps over the years are becoming quite large and I seem to be hitting limits as to the the amount of commands or variables in a .wfm or .prg file.
>
> I have structured a library file with all the possible functions in it but even that is getting large. I got to the point that if I add one more if statement the program will not compile it just seems to sit there for minutes and it simply doesnt end and so wont compile and run successfully.
>
> Now i am adding some images to buttons after about 5 images if i try to compile it I get the following error. if i get rid of the images and add say 3 or 4 new variables again it triggers an error for too many symbols.
>
> I am using DBASE 11. The question is how can I increase the amount of variables or commands? is there a way perhaps to have multiple libraries or some other way to store functions and load dynamically.
>
> Has there been increases from dbase 11 to dbase 19 is programming size? if so, do I need to convert source code moving forward?

Michael -- Break your library into parts. Put like code in one file
(code related to a specific purpose), and then other code in another file.

Use the dUFLP as an example. There's a file with just date functions,
another with just file functions, and so on. Break things down into
smaller files, rather than trying to cram everything into one ...

Then you can call just what you need. If (using the dUFLP example) you
don't use any date code in a specific program, you don't need to load it
... and so on.

dBASE Tutorial: http://www.goldenstag.net/dbase/Tutorial/00_Preface.htm
dBASE Web Tutorial: http://www.goldenstag.net/dbase/WebTutorial/00_Menu.htm
dBASE DOS to Windows Tutorial: