Subject Re: CODE WORKS IN NATIVE DBASE, BUT NOT COMPILED DBASE
From Andy Taylor <andy.taylor.1959@outlook.com>
Date Mon, 5 Dec 2022 12:14:32 +0000
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

Ed,

You have assumed that I'm a mind reader.
You have not said which line you are talking about.
If you are referring to my suggestion of:
  ? "I got to "+line()
Then I do not believe you.
The lineno() command goes back a long way in dBASE however we still
don't know what version of dBASE you are using.

Save the following commands in a prg file and run it.
? "This is line: "+line()
? "This is line: "+lineno()
? "This is line: "+line()
On my machine (dBASE 2019 & Windows10) it works perfectly.
Of course, you will only see the result if you have the command window
open - this technique is an alternatibe to using a msgbox.
Note that line() and lineno() both work the same way.

I ask you to do the following investigative work:
a) verify that the above lines work by saving & running the small prg.
b) Put ? "This is line: "+lineno() into your suspect program at various
places - especially where you think it might fail.
c) Run your suspect program - it should complete properly and tell you
where it gets to as it runs.
d) Compile your suspect program and run the exe - tells us if it gets
all the way through or falls over without generating the crystal report
file.

Good luck,
Andy