Subject Re: Adding to an existing database
From Ken Mayer <dbase@nospam.goldenstag.net>
Date Thu, 12 May 2022 13:43:18 -0700
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 5/11/2022 12:20 PM, Bob McKinney wrote:
> Hi Ken:  Where can I go to to learn about copy table() syntax?
>
> Realated question:  I do not have your first dBASE book.  Doest the new book (for 2019) refer back to the first one or is your present one
> sufficint for 2919? Many thanks for the CB....Bob

Sorry, didn't answer this. The dBASE Book Plus is meant to refer back to
The dBASE Book. I chose to create a book that talked about updates,
since the third edition of The dBASE Book was huge (two volumes, because
Amazon's Print on Demand seems to have a page count maximum, I had to
split it ...).

Since you're trying to move tables from one location to the one that has
a database, you may want to use the COPY TABLE command, instead of the
copyTable() method of the database object.

I would suggest creating, so you don't have to keep typing the path for
the old table location(s), a variable such as cPath:

cPath = "C:\MyOldApp\MyTables\"
    if you add the backslash at the end, you won't have to add it in the
command ...

Then, in the folder that you want to copy the table TO:

copy table ( cPath + "Tablename" ) to "Tablename"
    where "Tablename" in quotes is the actual name of the table, so if
you had a table named customers:

copy table ( cPath + "Customers" ) to "Customers"

And repeat for each table you want to copy ...

dBASE Tutorial: http://www.goldenstag.net/dbase/Tutorial/00_Preface.htm
dBASE Web Tutorial: http://www.goldenstag.net/dbase/WebTutorial/00_Menu.htm