Subject Re: TextLabel
From Steven Ellis <sjellis232@gmail.com>
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2022 06:56:53 -0500
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

Mervyn Bick Wrote:

> On 2022/01/14 20:56, Steven Ellis wrote:
> > I believe this is a bug.
> > For N = 1 to 10
> >         mvSummaryNMinVis = "form.Summary"+N+"min.visible"
> >         mvSummaryNMaxVis = "form.Summary"+N+"max.visible"
> >         mvSummaryNAvgVis = "form.Summary"+N+"Avg.visible"
> >         mvSummaryNWAvgVis = "form.Summary"+N+"WAvg.visible"
> >         &mvSummaryNMinVis. = false
> >         &mvSummaryNMaxVis. = false
> >         &mvSummaryNAvgVis. = false
> >         &mvSummaryNWAvgVis. = false
> >         ? &mvSummaryNMinVis.
> >         ? &mvSummaryNMaxVis.
> >         ? &mvSummaryNAvgVis.
> >         ? &mvSummaryNWAvgVis.
> > //Calculations are done then I want to make the text label visible
> >
> > These return all false and hides the textlables
> >
> >         &mvSummaryNMinVis. = true
> >         &mvSummaryNMaxVis. = true
> >         &mvSummaryNAvgVis. = true
> >         &mvSummaryNWAvgVIs. = true
> >         ? &mvSummaryNMinVis.
> >         ? &mvSummaryNMaxVis.
> >         ? &mvSummaryNAvgVis.
> >         ? &mvSummaryNWAvgVis.
> > next n
> > These return all true but the textlabel is still hidden.  I also tried setting the text of the
> > textlabel to "" and it has no effect.
> >

> I replied to this in the bug_reports newsgroups together with a working
> example but I didn't explain why your code didn't work as expected.
>
> In fact, I CAN'T explain it as I haven't been able to replicate the
> problem. :-(
>
> It helps, especially in the bug-reports newsgroup, if you can post a
> little working (or non-working :-) ) turnkey program that demonstrates
> the problem.
>
> There is nothing wrong with the way the macros work in the first
> section.  The textlabels are made invisible as required.  The print
> statements correctly reflect that the visible property has been set false.
>
> If the memvars in the second section are in scope (which is supported by
> the fact that the print statements return true) then it works for me and
> the textlabels are made visible.  If the memvars are not in scope then
> executing the first macro throws an error "Unrecognized command verb:
> &mvSummaryNMinVis. = true"
>
> Something seems to be missing.
>
> The contents of the text property of a textlabel object has no affect
> whatsoever on its ability to be made invisible or visible.
>
> Mervyn.

Mervyn,
Best I can tell it was a screen refresh issue.  I put a wait clause in and I could see the text labels go disappear after setting to false. The program was looping through the database 10 times (one of my other posts) immediately after the false commands.  btw the local sql vs OOP looping is lightning fast to the tune of less than a second vs a minute and a half).