Subject Re: thunderbird - repeated false new posts?
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date Mon, 3 May 2021 10:16:23 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 2021/05/03 09:45, Gaetano D. wrote:

> For the last 2-3 days, I  have had daily notifications of new posts
> (bold characters for the folder name) but there are actually no new
> posts - has anyone else noticed the same thing?

I'm using Thunderbird 78.10.0 (32-bit) with Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit,
version 20H2 and I haven't seen this.

What I have seen is some duplicate messages in this newsgroup (about 5
hours apart in each case) from Roy Price who uses Web-News to post.
There have also been a couple of messages from him with quoted text but
no new text.

I haven't dug too deeply into Thunderbird's capabilities (I'm happy with
the present set up so I'm letting sleeping dogs lie. :-) ) but there may
be a setting to discard duplicate messages.  This could explain why the
folder name is in bold but there is nothing to read.

If you are seeing the problem in other newsgroups then a reinstall of
Thunderbird may be called for.

What I have seen in the past is that if I try to read a new post
immediately after Thunderbird has opened but before it has, presumably,
finished its background housekeeping then the message is blank.
Checking in Web-News shows the message actually has content, it's just
the local copy that is empty.

I've now learned to be a bit more patient when Thunderbird first opens. :-)

Mervyn.