Subject Re: separator for CSV file to be imported into dBase
From Akshat Kapoor <akshat.kapoor@kapoorsons.in>
Date Thu, 24 Sep 2020 15:49:16 +0530
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

Good Evening Mervyn,

> I'm afraid changing the separator from ; to , and wrapping each field in
> double quotes in the .csv file is not appropriate in this case.
> Character fields only really need to be delimited if they contain
> commas.  In this case though the comma in a field is actually the
> decimal point of a numeric value.
>
> Wrapping a numeric value in double quotes in a .csv file confuses dBASE.
>   In the attached screenshot the first two records were created by the
> little program I posted yesterday.  The second two records were created
> by appending from the output.csv file that you provided.

Without exact table structure such codes are difficult to design but you
have utilised breakstring() wonderfully. I would have reinvented the
wheel for breaking the string

> A table with 500 fields is unusual (and unwieldy :-) ) but dBASE can
> handle up to 1024 fields in a record with a limitation of 32767 bytes
> per record.

dBase can handle 1024 fields BUT I doubt that the hairs on the
programmers head will be able to bear that much load.

I would be pulling my hairs out if I was the programmer. A Single
missing , " etc would be damn difficult to trace.

Regards
Akshat