Subject Re: Finished Tutorial and question about custom control
From Ken Mayer <dbase@nospam.goldenstag.net>
Date Fri, 7 Aug 2020 09:13:04 -0700
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 8/7/2020 9:04 AM, Joe LeBlanc wrote:
> Even though this question could be asked in the Tutorial newsgroup, for
> personal reasons, this will be the only time I will post a question in
> this newsgroup.
> I'll apologize now and get on with my question.
>
> In the tutorial, we did a series of custom control and form.
> I suspect that I should be able to simply copy these controls & forms
> from the Tutorial Custom folder to my new program Custom Folder.
>
> As far as the Custom Controls is concerned, the Tutorial mentions that
> there are custom form controls in the dUFLP but I still have to figure
> out where a description listing of what's in there.
> When I figure it our, I should just be able to copy the class into the
> appropriate folder of my application???

If you open one of the .CC files in the dUFLP in the source code editor
there are descriptions in the comments at the top of the file. For example:

modi comm :dUFLP:FormCntl.cc
modi comm :dUFLP:CustButt.cc

Examine those ... for starters. There is also in the dUFLP a form called
"Library.wfm":

do :dUFLP:Library.wfm

This will help you find a lot of items ... it's not perfect, but what is? :)

To use the controls, before opening the form designer:

set procedure to :dUFLP:FormCntl.cc

Then create a new form, and the controls should be on the Component
Palette. You don't need to copy FormCntl.cc (or other files from the
dUFLP) into your application folder, that's poor design. This kind of
thing allows you to build your own custom library as well, so you could
create your own custom controls (or base some on the dULFP controls) in
your own library folder and use the same controls in multiple
applications, allowing consistency ... a change in the original control
will appear in all forms (apps, etc.) that use that control. If you put
them in the folder with your application, then changes do not "trickle
down" ...

When you deploy your application the project would need to have each
file you use from the dUFLP (or elsewhere) listed, so it can be included
in the .exe (or if you use DEO for your app, then in the appropriate DEO
folder).

dBASE Tutorial: http://www.goldenstag.net/dbase/Tutorial/00_Preface.htm