Subject Re: Importing Excel files
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date Tue, 7 Apr 2020 17:48:31 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 07/04/2020 16:30, Geoffrey wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm new/old to dBase. Used dBase II back in the 80s and developed a whole suite of admin software for small businesses. But that was then and this is now.
> Am trialing dBase 2019 with a view to building some software to replace an overburdened Excel system I have.
> But problem #1 I've encountered is how to import Excel files into dBase equivalents.
> I can create equivalent Tables, but have so far not managed to discover how to import data either directly from Excel files or by way of .CSV files.
> Can anyone out there give me some advice, please?
> And another thing ... there was a free utility available way back then called DBU.exe - is that still around? Or does anyone have something similar they'd be prepared to share (or receive a small payment for)?

The first thing to do is to fetch and install a copy of the dUFLP (dBASE
Users Function Library Project) from Ken Mayer's site at
http://www.goldenstag.net/dbase/  Instructions for installing the dUFLP
are on the site.

ImportData.wfm in the dUFLP should import .csv files from Excel for you.
  An alternative is to use an oleAutoclient object to fetch (or place)
data directly from an excel file.  This is more suited to regular, say
daily, imports but it is quite a bit more complicated.  ImportData.wfm
will certainly get you started and you can move on from there.

If you enter Excel in the search field in this news group you will find
plenty of messages to get you going.

If you do decide to stay with dBASE 2019 Ken has written some books
(also available on his website) which are a really worthwhile
investment.  You should also complete the Tutorial available on the
website to get a grounding in event driven programming.  There is a
separate newsgroup for assistance with the tutorial.

Mervyn.