Subject Re: alfa omega delta
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date Sat, 21 Mar 2020 11:09:25 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 20/03/2020 18:12, Ricardo Fernández wrote:
> Hi,
> I have to program a text file output of a series of astronomical data, and in that text I must include symbols, letters, as units of measurement. Greek alpha, omega and Delta.
> I have NOT been able to find a way to obtain and include these symbols in the program.
> I would appreciate if someone knows the solution that would tell me where to start.
> Greetings
> Ricardo

In a plain text file this is probably not possible.  (CYA statement.
I've been caught out far too often saying "can't be done" and then
someone does provide a solution. :-) )

You may be able to do something by using OLEAutomation to create a .doc
file in Word as you then you would be able to use a Greek font applied
to specific characters.  Word will also accept Uni-code characters from
the keyboard by holding down the Alt key and inputting the decimal value
for the Uni-code character using the numeric keypad but I haven't tried
writing them from dBASE.

There is an article on accessing Word from dBASE in issue 16 of the
dBulletin. https://www.jpmartel.com/bulletin.htm

If your user will accept a .pdf file instead of a plain text file then,
depending on the contents and layout of your proposed text file, you may
be able to create the file as a report using the dBASE report designer.
If this is the case adding Uni-code characters is possible.

function TEXTNAME1_canRender()
    cOmega = space(1)
    cOmega.setbyte(1,0x03)
    cOmega.setbyte(0,0xa9)
    this.text = trim(this.form.fish1.rowset.fields["name"].value)+' '+cOmega
    return true

You will find a list of Uni-code characters at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters

Mervyn.