Subject Re: DDE help
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2020 11:45:36 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 27/02/2020 10:16, Akshat Kapoor wrote:

> Good afternoon Mervyn,
> I use batch files to take backups with changed name every half an hour.
> 2 such files are attached.
>
> Batch files are written using the file object.
>
> Then they are run using runhidden of duflp.
>
> The exe in this case is a mariadb backup exe but it could have been a
> dBase exe or anyother exe.
>
> The paramaeters keep on changing.
>
> And the parameters need not be values. They could be csv file names
> containing data to be processed as well.

You are still not passing values to a running program.  You write a new
.BAT file every 30 minutes (keeping the same name as before) and then
run it once.  This places data in a separate holding file.

New values are not passed automatically to the program that actually
wants them.  That program would need to poll on a regular basis to see
if any new data is available.  This is the method Bruce uses.

> So it all depends what type of data needs to be processed and format.
> Naturally Arrays cannot be passed as parameters (I presume).

Arrays can certainly be passed as parameters.  It is actually the way
for a function to return more than one value.  The receiving program (or
function) must just know how to deal with the array.  As an example,
preview.wfm in the dUFLP has provision for receiving an AssocArray as a
parameter.

All the elements of an array need not be of the same type.  An array can
hold numeric values, character strings, objects and other arrays all at
the same time as long as the receiving program or function knows what to
do with the contents of each element.

Mervyn.