Subject Re: DDE help
From <rich@autotraker.com> <<rich@autotraker.com>>
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2020 10:25:23 -0500
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

I did have a working solution using DDE some time ago. (I think prior to 6.x
releases.)
While it did work, it had too many restrictions and was rather buggy.
Windows hasn't been supporting it for quite a few years.
Instead I went with Windows sockets. A control like the free SocketTools or
other various socket activeX controls will do most of what you need and just
about every programming language supports Windows sockets natively in one
form or another. (Except of course dBASE.)
Not only can you talk between different programs on the same machine but you
can talk between different programs on different machine within the local
network or even across the internet.
While I don't have any code examples to share, I'm sure there are more a lot
more developers using Windows sockets than there are using DDE.
Rich...

"Robbie Nott"  wrote in message news:7Wae9gw6VHA.2884@ip-AC1E04A7...

Am trying to get the DDE example going from the dBase help
Using dBase 12

Created DDETopic.prg from the help example and ran it.
Get the output
Ready for DDE server requests for: STOCKSERVER

Opened a second instance of dBase and typed

x = NEW DDELINK()
? x.initiate("STOCKSERVER","TEST")

Result is False
I can see the StockServer in my task manager

Any examples and/or help with DDE greatly appreciated