Subject Re: requery problem (semi reason)
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date Thu, 9 Jan 2020 14:17:30 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 09/01/2020 13:31, Charlie wrote:
> I have each query indexed and filtered differently but in sql.  I am going to try to index them in the rowset.  I have a feeling that may be the problem.  I just figured out if I use order by in sql that query is read only in the grid.  That may well have something to do with it.   Well I'll try it later after golf.

If you use an ORDER BY clause please don't assign an index to the
rowset's indexName property.  Use one or the other but not both.

An ORDER BY clause causes a rowset to be read-only with one exception.
If the ORDER BY is on one field only and there is a simple index on that
field the rowset can be written to even if the index isn't assigned.  It
just has to exist and the BDE will recognise it.

Your master7.rowset should be writable if there is an simple index on
partID.  master9.rowset is read-only because it is ordered on two fields.

Trying to write to a read-only rowset shouldn't cause dBASE to crash.
All that should happen is an error message telling you the rowset is
read-only.

Mervyn.