Subject Re: Custom components name parameter
From Ken Mayer <dbase@nospam.goldenstag.net>
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2019 14:28:36 -0800
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 12/13/2019 10:29 AM, Russ Fisher wrote:
> I don't dispute that it's an easy thing to do.  It's just one more thing you have to "remember" to do.  Even if you make a minor change to a custom control's definition and re-save it, you have to remember to clear the parameter.

Well, I guess a lot depends on how you modify the code. After I have
created a custom class, I tend to stop using the designer to modify it.
I then hand-code the things I need to do, which obviates the issue, as
it is the designer that streams out the name parameter.

> As a side note, while creating custom controls, the first 8 or 9 appeared in the custom control palette immediately upon my saving them.  After that, I started noticing that they weren't there and would only appear after closing the IDE down and restarting it.  Why???

Probably has to do with closing procedure files and clearing memory and
such. I keep a program handy when working that does the setup, which
includes the statements like:

set procedure to :duflp:custbutt.cc
    and so on.

> Not to be disparaging, because I still think this is a fantastic product, but it just seems that before a software company releases a totally new version, any and all outstanding "bugs" from the previous one(s) should be cleaned up in the new release, ESPECIALLY since they charge you 80% of the cost of a full release to "upgrade".  I understand that there will always be bugs in any software, but if they are KNOWN, they should be fixed BEFORE any new features are added.

Tell that to Microsoft. :) Any software package of any size (and while
dBASE isn't as big as Windows, it's pretty big) has a lot of little bugs
that have low-priority to fix. If/when they DO get fixed, great, but
there are no guarantees. It sounds easy to just "fix the bug", but when
you're dealing with full object-oriented code, which dBASE is, making a
change in one place could break a dozen others ... so you have to be
careful.

> Thank goodness for this community and especially people like you with your outstanding tutorial and books.  A person relying solely on the documentation that comes with the product would be totally lost and confused.

dBASE always relied on books being published to help out the users, over
the years. The documentation can only do so much, even if it's the best
documentation in the world (there are issues with most documentation).
Unfortunately over the years, with the dBASE community getting smaller,
there was less call for books, so ... at this time, I seem to be the
only one with books in English. Glad they're useful.

One of the best things about dBASE is the user community. :) We've been
doing our best to keep the helpful/friendly attitudes here that are
seldom seen on other places. I have spent the last few years learning to
be a better web coder with PHP and various tools, and find the user
communities out there are full of jerks ... we're trying to avoid that here.

dBASE Tutorial: http://www.goldenstag.net/dbase/Tutorial/00_Preface.htm