Subject Re: Google Drive as a file sever
From Pieter Pretorius <pieter@pret.co.za>
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2019 11:20:28 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

Ed,

I also believe it is a hot subject as you described it. I use Teamviewer's
VPN connection in certain instances and only when I do some changes myself
on a customer's tables. This method is sometimes very slow and you have to
be patient, but it works.

At one client's premises, I used a different approach. The factory connects
to the office via a wi-fi connection that is very unreliable and quite a
distance away. I created the BDE connection on a local machine's harddrive
(in the factory) as if it was the server, with another connection to the
fileserver in the office. The fileserver's data is updated only if there is
a connection available. Same thing happens with data from the office to the
factory. The factory 'server' will update it's own tables from the
fileserver in the office if and when the connection to the fileserver is
available.

I also thought that there must be a better way and that is why I requested
advice in the programming group. I am looking into a way that I could still
use the .dbf tables on the local network, but be able to update a web server
database (or a domain controller) with a database like MySQL from the local
network, and then take it further with a web app.

Pieter

"edward racht"  wrote in message news:5KmWYnAbVHA.3768@ip-AC1E04A7...
Yiannis H. Economides
> Any ideas please ?
> Anyone tried this ?
>
> Regards

Dear Yiannis,

I am sorry you disappeared from the disussion that you wanted and so
carefully posted in the newgroup.

If you look at the names of the people who responded, you may conclude some
very experienced dBASE developers volunteered their time for this  -
providing their two cents based upon you first request for a discussion.

Then you chose not to participate.

So, are we blowing a lot of hot air between ourselves or did we not
comprehend your true request for a discussion?

Should you not like the direction of the discussion you must say so.

You need to explain yourself in computer terms we understand such as:

Does this server in the cloud only handle your own personal devices.

Is the server in the cloud a client based with multi-users.

Does your project use Inno?
Is it DEO?

Do you understand the purpose for the cloud in business?

Do you understand the purpose for the Source Aliases in the setup of dBASE?

Please respond!!

To me this is a hot subject with a great future but only for what it is
designed and set up for as it is virtual.

ed