Subject Re: Google Drive as a file sever
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invald>
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2019 09:49:40 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started
Attachment(s) google_drive1.jpg

On 2019-09-13 7:59 AM, Yiannis H. Economides wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am testing Google Drive as a file server for dbase applications.
>
> I have installed an application called ExpanDrive which what it does it provides an easy way to map any floder in my google drive.
>
> Then I changed in my application the setup for where are my data files.
>
> It seems that any attempt to access any dbf file fails because dbase CAN NOT FIND the files.
>
> Any ideas please ?
> Anyone tried this ?

Google Drive is fine for keeping backup copies of files.  On the other
hand, I have no interest in keeping production files on Google Drive as
there is no guarantee that my Internet connection will be up and running
properly 24/7.

I have a nominal 10Mbps download/10Mbps upload connection to the
Internet.  For the most part I can rely on at least 5Mbps download and
about 9Mbps upload which is adequate but this can drop dramatically at
times to well below 1Mbps in both directions.  It doesn't matter if an
email takes a fraction of a second or 10 minutes to download as it will
eventually get here.  The same applies to saving a backup file. As long
as it gets there before going home time all is well.  Data for an
application is quite a different matter.

Instead of using a third party application to access .dbf files on
Google Drive have you tried setting up Google Drive itself to access the
files?  I haven't tried this but according the Google Drive help it
should be possible.  See the attached screenshot.

Mervyn.