Subject Re: pos software
From Akshat Kapoor <akshat.kapoor@kapoorsons.in>
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2019 22:59:41 +0530
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 15/08/2019 02:39, Emeka wrote:
> I want to do a pos software using dbase  plus. What do I need to do. How do I go about it. How do I print barcodes using dbaseplus. Please someone should put me on a starting point.
>
> Thank you
>
> Emeka

Good Evening Emeka,
I have developed some portion of a POS software and busy with the rest.
To give you a proper answer I would like to pose some questions.

1. Have you done programming before.
2. Do you have a through knowledge of the processing of each entry at POS.

If the answer to both of the above is yes then only will you be able to
proceed with developing a POS software. If you will be learning and
developing like me then I will recommend forget it. It will take hell a
lot of time. Opt in for readymade package.

But if you want to program for your passion then proceed.

Now coming to stage 2.

You will need to plan for the following
1. How many systems will be running the software and accessing the same
data. (This will help in deciding you want to use .dbf table or some rdbms).

2. Printing of Barcode is of least concern. How will you be accepting
the data and and how will you be storing it is of more importance.

3. Define the roles this program should be able to do. Inventory ,
Accounts or a combination of Both.

4. If accounts are involved till what extent should the books be
prepared by the system. Full balance Sheet is the toughest and more
often than not there is an auditor involved so not of much use.

Some time ago someone had an issue with ledger balancing (I do not
remember who) It turned out he had issues in programming (he had
practically no experience, but this can be dealt with as there is plenty
of help available here). He had inherited the program and He did not
know how the enteries were being processed.

He was provided help with some task. When he asked how to prepare a
Balance sheet We asked him to first learn to prepare a balance sheet
using Pen and paper.

So that he knows how to process the balances. He has not turned up
since. We can help you with programming but we will not be able to help
you in learning how to maintain accounts. As accounting systems and
accounting procedures differ with each country.

So take your time, think over it and then reply.

Regards
Akshat