Subject Re: Tutorial
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invald>
Date Sat, 18 May 2019 11:05:05 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 2019-05-16 3:53 PM, Laurie ALVEY wrote:
> Perhaps I file does not existt's me but I can't open any of the dbasetutorial formsI  usually get, for example, customer.dbf does not exist. Also I have to type stuff twice in the command window for it to execute.
> I've told Kathy In Tech support about this.
> Please help. I'm getting nowhere.
> Laurie

I see from your message header that you posted your message via Web-News
which you presumably accessed from the dBASE website.

Web-News has its uses not the least of which is to allow newcomers to
dBASE immediate access to these newsgroups from the dBASE website.
Unfortunately Web-News also has its bad points.  One has to manually
access the site from a browser.  Once on the site one has to manually
trawl the individual news groups to see if any new messages have been
posted.

Fortunately dBase LLC also makes the newsgroups available in NNTP
format.  With a NNTP feed one sets up a newsreader to access
news.dbase.com and then one selects the newsgroups of interest. One can
set up the newsreader to check for messages on startup and then on a
regular basis during the day.  This fetches messages from the news
groups and flags those that haven't been read.  No more trawling through
the news groups.  It's like having the daily newspaper delivered to your
doorstep rather than having to walk down to the corner shop every day. :-)

Many, but unfortunately not all, email clients allow one to access
newsgroup NNTP feeds.  For example, Outlook and Windows Mail don't.
Thunderbird, Outlook Express, Opera Mail, Gravity and Forté Agent do.
My own choice is Thunderbird.

If your current email program does not support News accounts download
and install a suitable client.  Create a News account and use
news.dbase.com as the server name.  As a start you could leave all the
other default settings.  They can, of course, be changed later.

If you opt for Thunderbird there is just one little quirk to keep in
mind.  The "Reply" button is for replying to normal email.  Use the
"Follow Up" button to reply to newsgroup messages.

Mervyn.