Subject Re: IMPORTING CSV file
From Lee Grant <camilee@nospam.comcast.net>
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2019 14:22:31 -0400
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

Mervyn,

Thanks for the pointers and education. I always like to learn, even if
it's the hard way and humiliating :)

On 4/11/2019 4:35 AM, Mervyn Bick wrote:

> I appreciate that the program was written as a practice exercise but you
> shouldn't need the program at all.  If you append a .csv file containing
> mixed field types into a table with only character fields the contents
> of all fields will be saved as characters.

I really did not realize that the "append from" worked that way even if
I have used it to import .csv files before...doh.

The reason I used this as a practice program is that I'm just learning
how to use dBASE's language like I used to use the C language so...like
I said, baby steps...two steps forward...one step back. :)

Apparently, I could have done this in 5.0, but by then I had gone full C
into another OOP program, and after that, focused on my day job where I
occasionally used dBASE for some programs of quick and dirty databases
and now 20 years later, I'm rediscovering, so pardon my clumsiness. :)

I mean, once a upon a time I could create an application framework with
just the command "Create Application".  Now I'm trying to see how to do
this without it crashing. :)

> snip
>
> Redundant code in a program does no harm and it can help to jog one's
> memory as to why a particular construct was adopted.  On the other hand
> a little comment will serve just as well. :-)
>

> //if fOut.exists(cConv)
> //   fOut.delete(cConv)
> //endif
> fOut.create(cConv, "W") //Will overwrite existing file without warning

Yeah, felt a little weird about that but figured that's a good place to
eventually put a warning message box just to be safe...but the comments
do have plenty of information about the deletion. :)

Lee