Subject Re: character string problem
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invald>
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2019 09:56:24 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 2019-03-18 9:52 PM, Charlie wrote:
> Hi Mervyn.. OK thanks very much for your help.  I really appreciate it.  I think this is now under control.
>
> I am having one problem that I think I will have to figure out by myself.  If I go into mysql (mariadb) and import from there, I get around 3000 more records than if I update using the php program I developed.  No idea if it is additional records that aren't just perfect or possibly my code.
>
> I'm just happy that it is now functional!  Three days ago I wasn't able to upload anything to the remote server, so I am happy.  I also won money today on the golf course.  Really good day! :)

It's always better to win money than lose it. :-)

I don't know how comfortable you are with using mariaDB but you could do
the following to identify the "extra" records.

Use the two upload methods to upload the data to two separate tables,
say, tablecsv and tablephp

Create a rowset using the following SQL statement.  (You could do this
in the SQL editor of the management tool you use for mariaDB or you
could do this from dBASE.)

select c.part_no,c.au_desc,p.part_no,p.au_desc from tablecsv c full
outer join tablephp p on c.part_no = p.part_no and c.au_desc = p.au_desc
where c.part_no is null or p.part_no is null

This will show you the records in tablephp where there are no matching
records in tablecsv and records in tablecsv where there are no matching
records in tablephp

If the rowset is empty it means that the extra records in tablephp are
duplicates.

The comparison here is only made on part_no and au_desc so there may be
data in other fields which may differ so that the records are not
actually duplicates but let's worry about that if the rowset turns up
empty.