Subject Re: Virtulizing Dbase software from local to web
From <rich@autotraker.com> <<rich@autotraker.com>>
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2019 08:38:57 -0400
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

Michael and Mark.
Actually this program just redirects the output of the local program to a
web browser.
I seem to recall doing this several years ago using UltraVNC and dBASE 2.80.
It had the abilities to be able to access your desktop via a browser and
setting it to only run a single program.
I bet this is very similar technology only tied up in a pretty wrapper and
more user friendly.
I'm sure with a little creative work you can configure one of the many VNC
type viewers to do the same thing as the Thinfinity VirtualUI.
And don't discount the Thinfinity VirtualUI too fast. My quick testing
wasn't enough to satisfy me to say this will not work with dBASE.
dBASE is a Microsoft Windows Win32 application. I think the older versions
of dBASE used GDI and the newer use GDI+. Although I could be wrong about
that.
Probably need to start off with a simple plain dBASE EXE that has just a
real basic form, get it working and then build on that.
Could be it just doesn't have sufficient access rights or maybe using the
RTEXE switch would make a difference.
I was using a known good dBASE app I already had in use locally which might
not have been the best test.
Needs more experimentation and still might be a viable solution.
Rich...

"Michael"  wrote in message news:6Nh3$GZ2UHA.1860@ip-AC1E04A7...

I agree 100% Mark. I am in a similar position but with DBASE I cannot keep
up to the web advances and button textures, transparancy and  functions used
in most modern windows software.

I am too a little dissillusioned with dbase as I have mountains of software
and code and it just isnt economically viable to convert. Also, the
graphical and features are also heavily code intensive to use produce or
simply not there.

I hope a solution comes to market, I hope that someone has one somewhere.

Michael.