Subject Re: RECNO()
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invald>
Date Thu, 7 Feb 2019 22:29:36 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 2019-02-07 10:08 PM, Ken R. wrote:
> I'm working on a older program that has the following line:
>
> COPY RECNO() TO TEMP
>
> in a loop through about 10,000 records.  By the end of that loop the PlusRun memory requirement has grown to over 10 times its memory requirements and machine performance slows to a crawl. I have narrowed the problem down to that line. So I'd like to replace that line <COPY RECNO() TO TEMP> >with something simple and straightforward.  Any quick advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks!!
>   Ken R.

It's a LONG time since I used XDML but that syntax looks wrong.  It
certainly doesn't work in dBASE 12.3.1.  It gives the error "Unallowed
phrase/keyword in command: recno() to temp"

If you want to copy the entire table open in the workarea to TEMP then

COPY TO TEMP

If you want to copy selected records then the syntax would be something like

COPY TO TEMP FOR RECNO() > 5 AND RECNO() <10

Mervyn.