Subject Re: Table level
From Akshat Kapoor <akshat.kapoor@kapoorsons.in>
Date Sun, 30 Sep 2018 22:56:23 +0530
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 29/09/2018 21:43, Mervyn Bick wrote:

> Akshat posted a program which purports to take care of nulls in existing
> records.  I'm afraid it doesn't. :-(
>
> This program may well have been based on code I originally posted but
> the program as it stands will only replace nulls in character and
> logical fields.

> DATE, DATETIME and DOUBLE all start with D so one can't just use the
> first character to determine the field_type.  The same applies to
> LOGICAL and LONG.  Because full words are returned for the type, the
> test q.rowset.fields[n].type $ "FN" will NEVER return true.
>
> Akshat, I'm afraid it's back to the drawing board.

Thank You for pointing our the error Mervyn,

Since the program had worked for me I had never gone into much details.

But it is not back to drawing board, just corrections to comparision
string are required.

Someday I will take it back to drawing board and develop it into a form
which will ask the user to select a table, get default values in case of
null fields from the user and then update the table.

But it may not be of use to many hence not worth the labour. But
certainly worth the programming practice.

Regards
Akshat