Subject Re: Updating buffer info to database file
From Ken Mayer <dbase@nospam.goldenstag.net>
Date Thu, 9 Aug 2018 17:18:39 -0700
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 8/9/2018 1:51 PM, john wade wrote:
> Eventually was able to hold other terminal users at bay while updating a stock file by using a file with one field "Locked"  "Y/N". If the "Locked" field was "Y", the terminals were put into a loop until the "Locked" field was "N". The terminal updating the "stock" database changed the "Locked" field from "Y" to "N" when update was complete.
> Which command is used to write the buffered data to the field value.
> In the multi user environment, the terminal effects the change, but the file server needs to close databases, and then only do the changes made by the terminal get written away.
> I have tried commit(), refresh(), flush(), save(), you name it.
> Any suggestions, as I cannot close databases to update the changes without errors coming up.

Once the users are locked out, they shouldn't able to do *anything*. If
you want them to work with transactions, which handle the kind of
buffering I think you're talking about, then that is where commit and
flush come in. Take a look at transaction processing in online help.
However, it may be a huge amount of work (I've never liked it myself so
have avoided it). If I lock a user out of something I don't let them
work with the data at all ... they have to wait until the table is no
longer locked.

Ken

--
*Ken Mayer*