Subject Re: SQL Statement
From Ken Mayer <dbase@nospam.goldenstag.net>
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2018 21:30:25 -0700
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 7/17/2018 7:53 PM, Robin Rickard wrote:
> Hi All
> what is the best way of getting a SQL statement to only show records that are contained in a field.
> example: i have a field for staffareas. in this there might be ADH or ABD etc.
> A is an area that they work in, but they may also work in E, F etc
> Using the "$" in non sql i used to go ... for mstaff $ staffareas
> "Select * from staff.dbf where mstaff $ staffarea"  does not work.
> Can somebody please guide me right direction.

SQL does not understand the dBASE use of the dollar sign. It's a
completely different language. (This is covered, by the way, in Volume 1
of The dBASE Book ... there's a chapter that discusses doing things in
SQL that you are used to doing in dBL)

    "select * from staff where mstaff like '%" + staffarea + "%'"

The nested quotes are necessary. If there are apostrophes in the data,
reverse these -- change the double-quotes (") to single-quotes (') (and
vice versa).

The percent signs are wildcards -- putting one on either side of the
contents of the variable staffarea means that value in that variable can
have anything on either side of it ...

dBASE Tutorial: http://www.goldenstag.net/dbase/Tutorial/00_Preface.htm