Subject Re: dbase running on a flash drive
From <rich@autotraker.com> <<rich@autotraker.com>>
Date Tue, 15 May 2018 11:32:56 -0400
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

Don't be so quick to say no.
I run my installer written in dBASE PLUS from a CD.
Granted I have the BDE turned off for the installer.
I add DefaultEngine=NONE in its INI and just dropped the runtime files into
the same folder as the EXE.
If it’s PLUS 11.3 then make sure you turn off the UAC compatibility and
select standard INI file.
Or optionally compile in the runtime files.  You'll still need to have the
PlusR_EN.dll in the local folder.

Before we had that option of turning off the BDE, I would just drop the BDE
files into the same folder also.
There is a write-up on which BDE files you'll need. I forget where that
write-up is located off-hand.
I'm sure someone here remembers where that article is. I think the Title was
about running off CD.
Try this dBulletin http://www.dbase.com/Knowledgebase/dbulletin/bu13_b.htm
(While the runtime has changed the BDE hasn't)

Optionally you could just install the BDE by itself on the clients machine
and then run your app from flash drive.
You'll find the BDE installer in C:\Program Files
(x86)\dBASE\Plus11\Runtime\BDE Installer
Rich...

On 2018-05-15 3:03 AM, Charlie wrote:
> My golf board came to me today wanting to buy a new computer to run our
> league program on.  I've been using my own computer.   I suppose the
> reason for their concern is because I have a serious medical condition and
> they are concerned that I could check out suddenly and no one would know
> how to update and manage our golf program.  I did write it, I do know it,
> and yes possibly they have a point.  (Although I am hopeful I am not going
> to check out anytime soon!)
>
> I was wondering if it would be possible to manage and run the program on a
> flash drive.  I'd rather buy a flash drive which would be a lot easier for
> them to manage!   I'm thinking the biggest problem would be the bde
> administrator as how would you manage that on a flash drive?  Just
> wondering if there are any opinions on this?
>
> Thanks....

You know you're getting old when you start attending more funerals than
weddings.  In my case, long term planning is tomorrow afternoon. :-)

You should ask this question in the deployment newsgroup but I'm fairly
certain the answer is going to be no.  Your program will have to be
properly installed, together with the dBASE runtime engine and the BDE,
on the new computer.   The runtime engine can be included in the
program's .exe but that still leaves the BDE to be dealt with.

The data is a different story.  Your tables could well be on a flash
drive.  Perhaps a better option though is keep your data on the computer
but use DropBox to keep a copy of your data in the cloud.  Any computer
logged into the same DropBox account will have access to the latest data.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/sync-overview

Mervyn.