Subject Re: dbase running on a flash drive
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date Tue, 15 May 2018 08:58:44 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 2018-05-15 3:03 AM, Charlie wrote:
> My golf board came to me today wanting to buy a new computer to run our league program on.  I've been using my own computer.   I suppose the reason for their concern is because I have a serious medical condition and they are concerned that I could check out suddenly and no one would know how to update and manage our golf program.  I did write it, I do know it, and yes possibly they have a point.  (Although I am hopeful I am not going to check out anytime soon!)
>
> I was wondering if it would be possible to manage and run the program on a flash drive.  I'd rather buy a flash drive which would be a lot easier for them to manage!   I'm thinking the biggest problem would be the bde administrator as how would you manage that on a flash drive?  Just wondering if there are any opinions on this?
>
> Thanks....

You know you're getting old when you start attending more funerals than
weddings.  In my case, long term planning is tomorrow afternoon. :-)

You should ask this question in the deployment newsgroup but I'm fairly
certain the answer is going to be no.  Your program will have to be
properly installed, together with the dBASE runtime engine and the BDE,
on the new computer.   The runtime engine can be included in the
program's .exe but that still leaves the BDE to be dealt with.

The data is a different story.  Your tables could well be on a flash
drive.  Perhaps a better option though is keep your data on the computer
but use DropBox to keep a copy of your data in the cloud.  Any computer
logged into the same DropBox account will have access to the latest data.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/sync-overview

Mervyn.