Subject Re: _pdriver does not work
From Peter Berglas <phb2020@hotmail.com>
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:50:48 -0500
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

Ken Mayer Wrote:

> On 1/31/2018 7:04 AM, Peter Berglas wrote:
> > I have sent prior requests for help in this matter, but no matter what I try, I can't get _pdriver to change.  Using Windows 10.  Please take a look at the file below.  In dBase Plus 11, _pdriver does not send the streaming to the appropriate paper location in my Okidata printer.  In Visual dBase 7.01, I have no problem.  I have been using vdb for years and upgraded to Plus 11 early in 2017.  This is the only problem I am having and I cannot figure out what to do.
> > I have even tried a small batch file that changes the Windows default printer, but this does not come into effect until I close dBase and then restart it.
> > I have tried _app.printer also to no avail.
> > Please note that these are not reports, but streaming.
> > I look forward to some help.
>
> I hate to tell you this, but the old streaming code for printing was
> written for DOS, and doesn't translate well to Windows. If you cannot
> get _PDRIVER to work (and most of us are not really going to try), you
> are going to need to learn to use the dBASE report engine ... it's not
> that bad, there is some help in my tutorial (see below), and I have
> written a book on dBASE reports that can be helpful.
>
> Ken
>
> --
> *Ken Mayer*
> Ken's dBASE Page: http://www.goldenstag.net/dbase
> The dUFLP: http://www.goldenstag.net/dbase/index.htm#duflp
> dBASE Books: http://www.goldenstag.net/dbase/Books/dBASEBooks.htm
> dBASE Tutorial: http://www.goldenstag.net/dbase/Tutorial/00_Preface.htm

Hi Ken,
I hate to tell you this, but even though the old streaming code for printing may have been written for DOS, and may not translate well to Windows, with a bit of work I was able to accomplish the transition without rewriting all my streaming code.  Most of us might not try, but I did.
I used :   _app.printer.printerName="Okipage 10ex Manual Feed"
My problem was that I was using _app.printer.printerName="WINSPOOL,Okipage 10ex Manual Feed"
By trail and error using the Command window, I found out that the "WINSPOOL" should not be included.  I think this was mentioned elsewhere.  Did not need chooseprinter().
I hope this helps others too.
Peter