Subject Re: Inquiry on the new dbase plus 11
From Michael <michael@abstractservices.com.au>
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2017 06:53:52 -0500
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

Mekus,

Ive tried many ways to do this and there is no simple solution. I have developed an entire hospitality POS system with tablets, bump screens and even scale interfaces and web portals, using dbase and I connect tablets all the time.

The only efficient way to do this in Dbase is using Terminal Services (remote desktop). Cal's are cheap licenses to buy on a server. However, you will need to do a few things,

1. Seperate what is required for the tablet to run in a seperate folder than the server, i.e. temp files
2. Write a local file with a unique name for identify each tablet
3. Create a table on the server with the different parameters you need for each tablet filtered by the unique name of every tablet

The beauty using terminal servises is that you are writing the record on the server through wifi. If it drops out the record is still stored on the server. Until you are in range and it automatically reconnects.

Also, ive tried to network dbase in many ways and terminal services if far faster than any other method. Actually even faster than a direct screen.

I have also noticed resources are controlled better and seldom get any gliches or crashes.

For web services, thanks to the help of some of the guys in here, I managed to write a few web scripts in PHP and i connect directly with HTTP. Ken pointed me to some google charts scripts and it has been very enlightening. Dbse isnt the best for web programs but it certainly is very good for hybid and/or standalone applications.

I could go on all day on everything you need to do. I hope this has given you some guidence.

Regards,

Michael.