Subject Re: SQL WHERE Clause Not Working Since Upgrade to Plus 11
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2017 21:37:28 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 2017-09-20 5:38 PM, Ken Mayer wrote:

> The problem with using the defaults like that is that not all table
> formats have them, so if he decides to move his data to a SQL server,
> this may not work.

A very valid point.  As he is already using INSERT and UPDATE it would
be relatively easy to move to a SQL server in the future.  The last
thing he needs to do now is to rely on a feature that may not be
available on a SQL server.

> You are correct that local SQL probably doesn't work with these
> settings, that's a BDE limitation/implementation issue.
>
> If Akshat must do things this way, perhaps this is where a Data Module
> might be handy, with a custom append option that sets up default values
> automatically ...?

Makes sense.  Akshat is already using datamodules so he could well do
this. I, on the other hand, prefer to only write fields where I have
data to store and to deal with any null values that may arise.

Twelve programmers, a dozen solutions. :-)

Mervyn.