Subject Re: allowing user to change or add an alias
From Charlie <tm@tc.com>
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2017 09:27:07 -0400
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

I tried this on my Windows 10 version 1607 64 bit computer at work and it does the same thing.  (Dbase 10.3).  Here is the exact code I am using.  User is allowed to specify the path in a form which is connected to this program:

parameter cpath
close databases
set procedure to :dUFLP:BDEAlias.cc
oBDE = new BDEAlias()
OBDE.DeleteAlias( "train" )
oBDE.CreateAlias( "train", cpath )
// where "PathToDatabase" would be the value from
// the entryfield you have on your form ...
release object oBDE
oBDE = null
close procedure :dUFLP:BDEAlias.cc
msgbox ( "Database TRAIN path changed to " +cpath+"." )
return

When you run the form it connects to this program.  It does function.  The first time you run it (if the alias already exists) dbase hangs up and never reaches the message box.  But if you go into bde administrator the database is gone.

If you run it again it hangs up the same way but if you go into the bde administrator the database is there and the path correctly defined.

I don't think it is the code.  There is just something goofy going on which is par for the course for me! :)

If anyone comes up with anything please let me know.  I'm going to try to work on Akshat's alternate solution later today.

Think I'll post this in the dbase bug report as well.

Thanks for the help!!!