Subject Re: Missing MDX File
From Ken Mayer <dbase@nospam.goldenstag.net>
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2017 06:51:49 -0700
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 3/20/2017 6:42 AM, Euan Baxter wrote:
> I have a DBase IV database file and I'm trying to open it using DBDOS Pro 5+N. Every time I select the file to open I get an error saying Production .MDX file not found: APPLICAT.mdx with Applicat being the name of the dbf file. I know in later versions of DBase you can detach the index file, but I don't know if you can do it in DBase IV. Does anyone know if it can be done and if so how or is there anyway to get round this problem. The database is ancient, but we have a lot of useful information stored in it but we're just unable to access it.

Do you have a current version of dBASE? If so, you can work with the
dBASE IV table. It takes a little work, but not a lot. You would need to
modify a setting in the BDE Administrator so the table is not written
back out as a level 7 table:

BDE Administrator
   Click the "Configuration" tab
   Click the "+" by the word "Configuration"
   Click the "+" by the word "Drivers"
   Click the "+" by the word "Native"
   Click "DBASE"

   Find "LEVEL" on the right, change it from 7 to 4.

Under "Object" (menu -- click on it) click "Apply", then exit the BDE
Administrator.

Open dBASE Plus, open your table, when asked about detaching the .mdx,
say "Yes".

You should be okay at that point.

Close the table, close dBASE Plus.

Try opening the table in DBDOS Pro ...