Subject Re: Speech Recognition
From Norman Snowden <duluth@msn.com>
Date Sat, 21 May 2016 15:01:34 -0400
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

Mark Wrote:

> I believe there is speech recog built into Win 7 and above.  There are VB examples you can get in a search that can provide a starting point.
>
> I have been considering adding this to an app, tho it is not the highest priority.
>
> HTH,
> Mark
>
> Norman Snowden Wrote:
>
> > Speech Recognition
> >
> > I would like to be able to validate a dBASE  Entryfield by speech.  On a Smart Phone for Texting using speech recognition, saying One  Two  Three  produces the digits 1 2 3. Obviously for math, someone has already advanced to this necessary stage.
> >
> >  I would l like to be able to bring an Entryfield into focus either by touch or even speech and by speech  insert numbers. For example, say 225 into one Entryfield and say 200 into a second Entryfield. When the second Entryfield loses focus my little multiplication program would produce the answer of 45000.
> >
> > It would certainly advance our good dBASE if we could insert names and numbers by saying the word rather than having to key in the value of Entryfields.
> >
> > I would appreciate it if someone has some answers or thoughts about this.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Norman Snowden

My May 9 post expressed interest in applying speech recognition to dBASE Forms. At that time I Just had not done what I should have done earlier and that was, load the Windows 10 speech engine and try it out. For those who have not tried applying speech recognition to dBASE, this is what I found:
If the numeric or float based Entryfields is a whole number you can e.g. say Two Hundred and Fifeteen Thousand or say 2  1  5  0  0  0  and the Entryfield accepts the numerical value 215000 for calculation. However, if the intended value contains decimals, as 215000.25, you have to key in the decimals.
For character based Entryfield numbers you can say Two Hundred and fifeteen thousand or 2   1   5   0    0. For decimals,  say Two Hundred and fifeteen thousand point  twenty five 25 or say 2  1  5  0  0  0  point 2  5.
For character based Entryfield words you ca say e.g. William or say W  I  l  l  I  a  m. For uncommon names, you can spell them out saying the alphabet A  B  C  D  E  F  G  etc.
The small Microsoft On/Off Listening Window remains docked above the dBASE Form and thus easily available.  Although improvements will come, actually Microsoft has done a good job at this stage.

Norman Snowden