Subject Re: setting up a network
From Bob grimes <Bandgtshirts@aol.com>
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2016 07:13:39 -0500
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

Tim Ward Wrote:

> > my problem is that I really don't know how to set up an access point on a server and a data switch. presumably I have  to setup one of the machines to be a file server but I can't find how to do that.
> >
> > I am currently not using BDE aliases so I need to change my forms to use them.
> >
> > What does UNC stand for.
> >
> > i presume that i have to install BDE on each machine
> >
> > at  the moment i have two machines , one is running windows10 and the other windows xp . will i be able to network these two machines with different operating systems.
> > i want to keep xp on its machine because i am having problems creating or modifying  tables on windows 10 because i am running dbase 2.6 .
> > investing in dbase 10 will solve this problem but if i am unable to conquer my network problem there is no point in continuing with trying to network this project, so dbase 10 would be a waste of money as i am only doing this one project for a school in Nigeria with 600 pupils that my wife helps to run at the moment with purely paper systems that are very time consuming.
> > I had done some programming back in the 80's using dbase3 and foxbase  but found that these dos based versions would not work very well with windowsxp etc so i purchased dbaseplus2.6 some time ago and have since been developing the program and have really enjoyed the transition to object oriented programming. But to make my program really usefull i do really need to run it on a network of which i have no knowledge or experience. Hence my plea for help>
> >
> Hi Bob,
>         I have a small peer to peer network that I use to access dbase data on
> a 'central' server. I'm using vista,win7 and Win10 to connect to the
> data without problems (and XP previously although I have moved away from
> this now).
> UNC is uniform naming convention but it's just a way of pointing to a
> file on a remote computer. The first bit is the computer name and the
> 2nd bit the shared folder on the network.
> I've just set my folder with the data on to have r/w access for everyone.
> It's possible to connect to a table on a remote computer by just using a
> query like
>
> this.PICKLISTS_BESTPICK = new QUERY()
>     this.PICKLISTS_BESTPICK.parent = this
>     with (this.PICKLISTS_BESTPICK)
>        left = 27.1429
>        top = -0.0455
>        sql = 'select * from "//computername/sharefolder/PickLists.DBF"'
>        active = true
>     endwith
> but you can use aliases too.
>
> I'm sure you'd need the BDE and runtime installed on each machine where
> the program will be run.
>
> I'm sure there are loads of ways to improve or cope with high demand
> enviromnets but at least a simple and quick way can work OK.
>
> HTH Tim

Hi Tim
Thanks for your message
I have spent the last few days trying to find out as much as I can about network and downloaded lots.
Unfortunately I have completely failed to establish a wireless network connection between my two laptops. I tried to use a lan cable but unfortunately none of the articles I downloaded re wired connections between laptops mentioned that I should use a crossover cable so obviously that didn't work. I have tried unsuccessfully so far to get a crossover cable . In the meantime I bumped into a windows community website/forum where Microsoft staff answer questions. So I asked how to connect a machine with Xp to a machine with windows 10 . The reply from a windows support engineer was that it was NOT possible .
I note from your reply above that you managed to connect Xperia to 10 , how did you manage it.
Bob