Subject Relation among 3 files running slowly
From BobM <bmarske@outlook.com>
Date Fri, 24 Jul 2015 15:53:18 -0400
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

A fairly straightforward operation is running very slowly, no idea why.  Looking for suggestions!

I have three dbase files, one fairly large: "A" with 1.5 million records, file "B" with 1,000 records; and file "C" with 1,000 records.  Want to replace values in file A with a ratio of other items in A, B, and C.  All key values are unique.

Here's what I am doing:

Select a
use file_A
Select  b
use file_B exclusive
index on key1 tag key1
set order to key1
Select c
use file_C exclusive
index on key2 tag key2
set order to key2
select b
set relation to key2 into C
select a
set relation to key1 into B

repl all field1 with field2 * (b->field1/b->field2) * c->field3

I expected this to take minutes or hours but after 2 days it was still running.

I am running dBase 9 plus; OS is Windows 8.1, 64 bit, 2.4 GHZ; 16GB RAM; files are stored on a 500GB SSD.

Any ideas where the slowdown might be coming from?

Bob