Subject Re: Virtualize Dbase server
From David Ball <No.Spam@All.com>
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2015 14:05:30 -0400
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

Hi Chris

Sorry for all the dumb questions.

Are we talking about the full version of the dBASE program
or just the runtime? Normally, the full version would be on
a development station somewhere and only the runtime would
be on the server, but sometimes things are done in different
ways for different reasons.
Are you reinstalling the full version of Plus on the VM?
Does it ask you for an authorization key during the install?
The dBASE installer reinstalls the Borland Database Engine
(BDE) if I recall correctly. You should check the BDE
interface on the VM to see if your databases have been
faithfully recreated and if the data is somewhere else, is
it reachable from the VM.
Once the program is installed, can you bring up the program
UI (command prompt and navigator)? (assuming full version
installed)
Assuming there's data involved<g>, what kind of tables?
(dBASE, mySQL, etc.) Is the data located on the same
machine?
Do you have the source code? Is the full version of Plus
installed on the server?  Otherwise, do you have access to a
development machine where the full version is installed? At
some point, you might want to step through the startup code
of the application to see what it's doing that might be
causing it to go home early.

Failing all else, can you contact the previous programmer
and discuss it with them?

I did install dBASE on a VM a number of years ago, and it
worked as expected if I recall correctly. I'm just trying to
think of some possibilities of how things could go off the
rails.

Thanks
David Ball
admin@dBASEHost.com