Subject Re: insert dash after N characters in a strings
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date Tue, 26 May 2015 05:15:35 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On Tue, 26 May 2015 04:30:42 +0200, kent <gkent_28@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On the first example 999-999-999-000:
> this is on a separate entry field , on this field I want it in such a
> way that every 3 character there's a 'DASH' , and on the end 3 zeros
> will be automatically added.
>

> on the 2nd example  9-99W-WXX-44E:
> this is also on the separate field. the difference is that the dashes
> are located differently and no additional zeros are added after the
> values.
>

> sorry guys for not clearing this out.
>
> Thanks in advance.

    this.ENTRYFIELD1 = new ENTRYFIELD(this)
    with (this.ENTRYFIELD1)
       onLostFocus = class::ENTRYFIELD1_ONLOSTFOCUS
       height = 1.0
       left = 8.8571
       top = 3.3182
       width = 16.0
       picture = "xxx-xxx-xxx-000"
       function = "!R"
       value = "         "
    endwith

    this.ENTRYFIELD2 = new ENTRYFIELD(this)
    with (this.ENTRYFIELD2)
       height = 1.0
       left = 8.8571
       top = 6.9091
       width = 13.7143
       picture = "x-xxx-xxx-xxx"
       function = "!R"
       value = "       "
    endwith

The x in the picture property will accept both numbers and characters.  If
you want specific positions to be numbers use a 9 instead of the relevant
x in the picture.

The ! in the function property forces characters to uppercase.

If you save the values to a field only the actual input will be saved eg
999999999 and 999WWXX44E for your two examples.

Mervyn.