Subject Re: Changing from Filemaker to dBase Classic
From Doug Cummings <DougCummings@telus.net>
Date Sat, 21 Feb 2015 19:18:14 -0500
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

Doug Cummings Wrote:

> > otto Wrote:

> > > Hi, Doug
> > >
> > > dBASE (classic or Plus 9.5) cannot import FileMaker Tables. You have to export them as DBASE tables  using the FileMaker database menu or install the ODBC Driver for FileMaker, create a DSN and a DATABASE in the BDE (I did this with dBASE PLUS 8 and  Filemaker 9 Pro "FP7" files).
> > > Having worked and developed with (dbase dbase 3 to dbase 8 Plus, Clipper, FileMaker 9 Pro Advanced and  Ms-Acces 2000 to 2013), I would always use FileMaker if it would not require a licence (> 300 $) for each computer.
> > > If you want lean files and separation between data and buisiness functions and real object orientation go for dBASE Plus 9.5 keeping in mind that this is a powerfull tool for developers and less for users.
> > > MS-ACCESS is best for Data-Analysis , quick Reporting and integration with other MS-Office products.
> > >
> > > Otto
> >
> > I would be using dBase Classic.
> >
> > And since writing this I have read something that I also need an answer with, it says you cannot run dBase Classic on any of the newer Windows programs. I use Windows 7.
>

> When you say dBase cannot import Filemaker files you also I would have to export then as dBase files. What do you mean by this? Is there a way in Filemaker to convert Filemaker records or complete files to dBase?
>
> Please remember I am not a programmer, just a user, so I have a hard time understanding technical terms that only a programmer would be familiar with.
>
> Doug

I see two ways to solve this problem. One is find someone who is qualified to write in Filemaker and have them write a small program that will allow filemaker to do what I need it to do.

The other is to take my spare computer, which is presently unused, and install Windows XP on it and make it a dedicated computer for this work. I am assuming it should not be that difficult to find someone with a copy of XP they would be willing to sell, or even find a copy on Amazon.com

If anyone has any better suggestions please let me know.

Doug