Subject Re: DBASE II Information
From Ivar B. Jessen <nospam@nospam.com>
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2014 18:21:29 +0100
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 18:44:47 -0500 Kevin Butler
Sender:  Kevin Butler <kevinb500@gmail.com>
wrote the following in:
Newsgroup: dbase.getting-started
Subject: DBASE II Information:
MessageID:<5dImGpYGQHA.2008@ip-0AB9FF9D>

>Good afternoon,
>>This one involves the quest for information so I'm hoping there are other
>>"old-timers", such as myself, who worked with DBASE in its infancy back in
>>the early 80's.
>>There were four programs that created programs that came with DBASE II.
>>These programs were filegen.prg, formgen.prg, labelgen.prg, and menugen.prg.
>>these programs.  I was able to use some parts of these listings to create
>>programs that made other programs.
>>Unfortunately, that book got lost by the wayside after many moves via the
>>military.
>>I'm attempting to find out either a).  The name of the book that had these
>>listings in them.  I'm figuring it was authored by Luis Castro, the
>>individual who wrote or co-wrote the four program generators.  Again, I can't
>>recall the book for the life of me.  b).  The listings for these programs
>>from another source.
>>The reason for my re-interest is that I had several spin off programs and I
>>think I can do some modernization with my own code.  Also, it is fun getting
>>back into the old DBASE again just to relearn and to branch back out again.
>>Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>Thank you for your time.

Kevin,

Looking up Louis Castro on Google gave the result below. Could that be the book?

Advanced programmer's guide featuring dBASE II and dBASE III
L Castro, J Hanson, T Rettig - 1988

Searching in old documents I found paper copies of Menugen.prg (Appendix C page
504 - 511) and Formgen.prg (Appendix C page 512 - 524).

I could not find filegen.prg, formgen.prg. They are not included in Appendix C,
which deals with Programs/Program Generators.

Ivar B. Jessen