Subject Re: DBASE II Information
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2014 17:11:22 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 01:44:47 +0200, Kevin Butler <kevinb500@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> This one involves the quest for information so I'm hoping there are other
> "old-timers", such as myself, who worked with DBASE in its infancy back
> in
> the early 80's.
>
> There were four programs that created programs that came with DBASE II.
>
> These programs were filegen.prg, formgen.prg, labelgen.prg, and
> menugen.prg.
>
> I had managed to get a hold of a book that had the full code listings for
> these programs.  I was able to use some parts of these listings to create
> programs that made other programs.
>
> Unfortunately, that book got lost by the wayside after many moves via the
> military.
>
> I'm attempting to find out either a).  The name of the book that had
> theselistings in them.  I'm figuring it was authored by Luis Castro, the
> individual who wrote or co-wrote the four program generators.  Again, I
> can't recall the book for the life of me.  b).  The listings for these
> programs
> from another source.
>
> The reason for my re-interest is that I had several spin off programs
> and I think I can do some modernization with my own code.  Also, it is
> fun getting back into the old DBASE again just to relearn and to branch
> back out again.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Amazon has some used copies of Louis Castro's book available from US$0.53
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-programmers-guide-Featuring-dBase/dp/0912677058

Digging into this old code may be fun and it will certainly keep you out
of mischief but with these old programs you are likely to find that they
won't output to a printer on the newer versions of Windows.  This will
mean investing in dbDOS.

If you don't still have the original dBASE programs you may be able to do
some work using the latest version of dBASE but this will be very limited
and you will have to rewrite all your input and output screens as the @SAY
and @GET commands have been dropped.

A more worthwhile project is to redo all your programs using the modern
OOP (Object Oriented Programming) available in the modern dBASE.

Programming in OOP for Windows is a complete paradigm shift from the old
hierarchical style of programming used with DOS and a fairly steep
learning curve is involved.  On the other hand, you'll get all the help
you need here in the newsgroups and once you've mastered it you'll wonder
how you ever managed without it.

If you buy the latest version of dBASE you will receive an electronic copy
of the second edition of Ken Mayer's The dBASE Book.  While the book
doesn't cover all the advanced features available in dBASE 9.5.1 (the
latest version of dBASE) it certainly has enough in it to get you up and
running very quickly.

If you're going to buy dBASE or dbDOS now is the time to do it.  25% off
until Thursday.

Mervyn.