Subject Re: Converting VFP to Dbase or importing into VFP into dbase
From Eric Logan <jelogan@eltopia.com>
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:47:11 -0700
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

Mike;
I think the standard way would be to read the VFP tables into dBase
files through ODBC (and BDE and updateset). I regularly use ODBC to
import VFP tables into dBase. With the specific type of VFP files I get,
the difference between being able to open directly in dBase or not is
whether the table has an 'Integer' column. If there isn't an integer
column, dBase can open it, and the inspector shows the table type as VFP
2.5. However, I believe there may be a difference between dBase and VFP
in the way numeric columns are displayed. That is because when viewing
apparently v2.5 VFP tables in dBase, one sometimes sees asterisks where
good numeric values actually exist. I prefer to import the data. I think
the best method is to use updateset to append into a pre-built dBase
table. With updateset copy() you are letting dBase decide on the best
structure for the data. You may get something you have to modify again.
E.L.