Subject Re: Forms Processing Text Box buffer to Data Fields
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2014 22:54:33 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:12:09 +0200, maurizio S. <mau@mau.it> wrote:

> Recently (almost dB 8.x and 9.x) I changed my programming mind approach,
> follows other tips here in NG
>
> to keep much clear the code, in case you will switch to backend server,
> but also continue using BDE, they convinced me to NOT use rowset.methods
> nor datalinked nor editable grid
>
> use Server side approach, like Insert, Update, Delete...
>
> just my two cents
> Maurizio

This is a whole new ball game which deserves not only a new thread but
perhaps even its own newsgroup.

For years a big dBASE selling point has been scalability with the
possibility of moving data to a backend SQL server.

The fact that keeping data on a SQL server requires a major change in
programming style compared to accessing .dbf files if one is not to cause
problems for the SQL server is simply glossed over.  It does, however,
require more programming than using the built-in rowset methods but the
techniques required for SQL servers work perfectly well with .dbf files.
Programming in this fashion will make the transition from .dbf files to a
SQL server fairly simple although there could be minor problems to sort
out depending on the SQL server used.

Mervyn.