Subject Re: Dummy Guide needed-or sample full app
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:24:22 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 14:06:36 +0200, DonOS <dao4@lehigh.edu> wrote:

> What I really NEED is a pointer to either something like a John Smiley
> book or to a full blown stand-alone app's source code to examine and
> learn from. Any help will be appreciated, none is anticipated or
> expected (no entitlement self-deceptions), a small fee could be
> considered if I felt confident I am not just continuing to throw good
> money after bad.

Now that we've found that Michael Nuwer's Dive Shop case study won't run
properly in dBASE Plus 9 without some serious panel-beating we're back to
square one.

As a fellow graduate of the "Monkey see, monkey do" school of programming
I too learnt much of how to program in dBASE by seeing how other
programmers tackled problems.  In my case though it was a matter of
bit-sized chunks rather that a full meal sized application.

It's an almost cast iron certainty that no programmer here is going to
give you a copy of a commercially viable application to study.  Back in
the days of dBASE for MSDOS there was a big enough market so that
publishing a book showing how to build the application from scratch was
perhaps worth more than marketing the actual program.  Those days are,
however, past.  There are, however, many here who are willing to pass on
their knowledge and who have, over the years, posted working examples that
illustrate a specific technique.  All you need to do is trawl the
newsgroups looking for these.  (The getting-started and programming
newsgroups are probably the best place to start.)

Mervyn.